As you know there are many grandparents raising grandkids now than in the past. If you are getting problems and wondering whether or not your granddaughters are living in a good environment then it might be time to do something and a legal guardianship so that you will be sure they are under control. The steps you should do to own legal guardianship are quite easy and let’s have a look at the definition before we take action.
A legal guardian is someone who owns the legal authority to take care of the property and personal interests of someone else, known as a ward. Typically, an individual has the position as a guardian because the ward is unable of taking care of his or her own interests caused by incapacity, disability, or infancy. Most states and countries have laws and regulations that provide that the mother and father of a small child can select who can be the child’s legal guardians in case of death.
Grandparents usually apply to the Courts for Guardianship of the kids. It can be achieved when there is valid evidence that the parents are unable to fulfill the basic needs of kids’ life.
I have an experience a few years ago that I decided to get guardianship of my granddaughter. The first thing I did was to try to get the parents to sign it over to you until they could solve their problems. And it runs very smoothly with the help of a specialized family lawyer. However, when this doesn’t run smoothly it might be time for you to file a petition in court. The steps to do this vary from state to state but these are basics steps you can take:
- Filing the petition
- Gathering the valid evidence you need to prove that the kids aren’t being cared for properly
- Bring witnesses together with you who can support your findings
- The parents might dispute the offense
- The Judge will analyze the situation as soon as he can
- Witnesses will be invited to support the a guardian to be approved for the grandchildren
- When the evidence show that you are eligible to be guardian then you will be appointed.
- If the evidence is not available to support what you say the judge will send it to trial
We are as grandparents always find a real problem in the today society that parents are unable to take care of their own kids. We as grandparents should take necessary steps and make sure that our grandchildren get the best care they and certainly it can be from us.